Tracy Churchill, one of the members of our Delivering Happiness Challenge has had a love for baking since she was young. She even met her husband in a bakery over 25 years ago! Here is a bit about Tracy:
"I grew up beside my grandparents farm in Perth, Ontario. We were surrounded by farm fields,a huge vegetable garden and wild blackberries all along the fence lines which made for the best juiciest pies. Everything was fresh and homemade.
I remember the summer of '84 sitting in the farmhouse kitchen writing out all my grandmas recipes to make my own cookbook while watching her bake. The recipes were old fashion and mostly made from simple basic ingredients most people would have on hand. In the kitchen at home after school I was always exploring which I think was the start of my love for baking and crafting. I have been baking for fun ever since."
Now let's get down to the nitty gritty!
Better Together Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Crisco Shortening or 1/2 Cup Salted Butter (or 1/4 cup salted butter and 1/4 cup Crisco Shortening
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt (Balkan style or Greek)
- Avonlea Preserves (any flavour) I used Blueberry & Raspberry
- A little bit of Milk (Optional)
- Mix all dry ingredients & cut in shortening or butter
- Add yogurt and lightly mix until dough forms a ball similar to making pie crust. Don't over work the dough.
- Roll out and cut with cookie cutter (makes about 1/2 dozen )
- Add the preserve before baking. Push down in the center of biscuit with a spoon or fingers and add a drop of preserves to the center. You can also choose to sandwich them between two cookies if that's more your style.
- Brush biscuit with milk using a pastry brush before going in the oven to get a golden glow. (Optional)
- Bake @ 350 ' for about 12 mins or until golden brown. (I find every oven is different and sometimes can be done in 10 mins, or take as long as 15 mins)
Best served warm from the oven with family & friends.
Get your Avonlea Preserves here to try this delicious recipe yourself!